This year we were all to take part in the national Census but there was a glitch. The ABS website got hacked. We are now in the age of Cyber Wars. It is cheaper and quicker to disrupt governments and businesses using a laptop.
So if a government agency can be hacked how safe is your business and life from being hacked?
Yes it is an unsavoury topic but we need to get real about online security before it is too late.
I suspect that most of you really do not know if you are vulnerable to being hacked. I know I do everything I can to reduce the risks by….
- Changing passwords at least once a year especially for important online accounts.
- Use a vault program to store all my passwords and create ones. I use Dashlane but more about that down the page.
- Use a more secure website browser like Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Have my website browser set to not save passwords.
- Generate passwords that are a minimum of 12 random letters, numbers and characters.
Are you doing any of the above?
I know that many of my clients are not doing these things and I always let them know that it makes them very vulnerable to being hacked.
About Cyber Warfare in Australia
If you have time watch this ABC Four Corners show that was on last night. I hope that it helps you to understand how vulnerable we are in Australia because we have become lazy.
We seem to think that we are safe here in Australia but the truth is we are not.
What can you do?
Well I wrote a post last year outlining some tips on how to create more secure passwords. Check that out and if you need help please get in touch. I am more than happy to help out our local businesses if it keeps them more secure.
Call me on 0418 605 617 to find out how I can help you make your business more secure.
Check out the resource below from the Australian Government. It has great tips for small businesses.